«I’ll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams» If you’re staying out of town this Christmas, we’ve got just the thing you need to have a cozy Christmas Eve, no matter where you are – hot chocolate!
We’re not talking about that powdery mix where you just add hot water, but real, thick, steaming, hot chocolate – it’s easier to make than you probably think. It can be made in one pot, or in a pinch, it can be made in the microwave. So this Christmas Eve, if you’re staying at one of our InTown Suites locations, put on some Holiday tunes and whip up this delightful decadent drink.
Christmas Eve Hot Chocolate
1 liter of whole milk
1 chocolate bar (see step 1 for details)
Pinch of salt (optional)
1. Pick out your favorite chocolate bar, avoiding those that have fillings, nut or candies added to them, you want to pick a pure chocolate bar. For a sweeter drink, choose a milk chocolate bar. For an intense chocolate drink, pick a dark chocolate bar
2. Finely chop the chocolate bar
3. Pour the milk into a pot, and warm it until it just starts to want to simmer
4. Add in the chopped chocolate, and the salt if using
5. Stir continuously, until the chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is nice and hot (without bringing it to a boil)
6. Carefully pour into cups or mugs
If you want to stop there, you’ll have a perfectly delicious cup of hot chocolate. If you want to take it to the next level (it is Christmas Eve after all) here are ten easy additions to jazz it up.
10. Add a big dollop of whipped cream on top9. Add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg
8. Make it a Mexican hot chocolate by adding in a dash of cayenne pepper
7. Make it adult only with a splash of Baileys
6. Use a peppermint stick as a stir-stick for a mint chocolate flavor
5. Like Terry’s chocolate oranges? Add in a little orange peel or orange extract
4. Add a spoonful of dolce de leche for a carmel-y delight
3, Stir in a tablespoon of malted milk for a hot malted milkshake
2. Fill your mug with half coffee, half hot chocolate for the ultimate mocha
1. Stir in a teaspoon of melted peanut butter, it tastes like a melted peanut butter cup
From all of us at InTown Suites, we wish you a safe and Merry Christmas!