Packing for a trip is always a bit of a daunting task. On the one hand, you’re trying to make sure you’ve covered all of the essentials, and on the other, trying to avoid lugging around more than you really need.
Needless to say, when it comes to packing, space is always of the essence.
Next time you’re packing for a trip, packing for your next visit to InTown Suites, or maybe even packing up your place to move, keep some of these handy tips in mind.
Roll your clothing.
Rolled clothing tends to take up less space than folded clothing, and still avoids unnecessary wrinkles. You’ll be able to fit more into your suitcase or moving box using this clothing storage method.
Avoid tangles & lost jewellery.
Longer jewellery and necklaces often become quite tangled in a suitcase or box. To prevent this, thread a straw with the chain of your necklace, or, lay necklaces out on a piece of material (fabric placements work well!), and then roll the mat and tie with a ribbon.
To avoid losing loose earrings and backs, grab a spare button and poke the stems of your earrings through the holes, ensuring matching sets stay together.
Capitalize on available space.
Getting creative with where you pack things (and how) will help you get the most out of your suitcase, tote, or box. Look for opportunities to fit more in, like:
- Putting socks or products that need a tiny bit of cushioning inside your shoes
- Placing a coiled up belt in the collar of your shirt
- Ditch the containers most beauty or bath products come in and replace them with smaller packages. Use old pill bottles, contact lens cases, and Tic Tac dispensers to store things like cotton swabs, hair pins, lip balm and concealer
- Place cords and cables inside a glasses case to keep them tangle-free and organized
- Opt to pack the most versatile versions of the products you love – like foldable water bottles that take up almost no room when not in use
Pack a few plastic bags.
It never hurts to have a couple grocery or ziplock bags around. You never know what you might need them for, but they sure do come in handy for things like shoes (and keeping dirt off the rest of the items in your suitcase), wet bathing suits, laundry that needs to be washed, and so on.
With any toiletries (shampoos, gels, and other liquid-type makeup), be sure to place a piece of plastic wrap over the opening of the bottle. This will help prevent possible spills and leaks on your other packed items – especially on toiletry items that have a push top.
Whether you’re traveling or packing to move, there’s nothing worse than the musty smell your belongings acquire after being stowed away. Keep things smelling fresh by placing a dryer sheet or lavender sachet at the bottom of your suitcase or box.
We hope these packing tips and tricks make preparing for your next trip or move a breeze. For more tips on moving, check out:
- Packing Tips for the Big Move
- Tips for Packing Light on Extended Stays
- Moving Tips – What to Keep & What to Toss
- Road Warrior Travel Tips
What are your favorite packing tips?